Watch the informational video for the many benefits of roundabouts and how to navigate a roundabout.
Roundabouts provide a number of benefits. FDOT has a number of roundabouts across the state and are planning and designing many more.
- Less crashes, 90% less fatalities and 75% less injuries
- Less severe crashes
- 10 – 40% less pedestrian/bicycle crashes
- Roundabouts are safer for beginner and elderly drivers
- Can be used in multiple road intersections
- 30 to 50% increase in traffic capacity for intersection…less delay waiting at stops and signals
- Reduces pollution (from cars not waiting at traffic signals), reduces noise, reduces fuel consumption
- Roundabout islands can be landscaped with native plants and trees
- Roundabouts generally take less land than traditional intersections as they don’t require turning lanes
- Without traffic signals, no cost for traffic signals and yearly maintenance
- Intersection still operates in power outages…no need for police to direct traffic
- Roundabouts have improved sales at nearby businesses across the country as more people can walk or easily drive to locations compared to traditional intersection
- Can act as a marker to a business or downtown district